In my younger days, I had a lot of part-time jobs and one-time “gigs” (for lack of a better word). Most were dull and tedious, but there were a few oddball ones that really stand out:
- Model for watercolor workshop – age 15, FULLY CLOTHED, $5/hr
- Italian Icee truck driver – age 21, 20% of the take, lasted a week
- Bone counter – age 20, temp job in the shipping/receiving department of a company that took cadaver bones (which arrived semi-butchered and frozen) and chopped them up into useable bits for transplant purposes. I was the only temp they didn’t gross the hell out. I think I got $5/hr.
- Substitute mommy – age 15 & 16, three little boys, parents went to Montego Bay on vacation during the February school break and I took over. Crappy pay though – $250-300 for 8 days. By the way, she was an alcoholic, they got divorced, she died of liver problems at age 47 (but looked 67).
- Audition Assistant for corporate video – age 21, one day’s work, $50
- Dessert maker – age 22, Italian restaurant in Edinburgh, $20/shift
Show me I’m not alone, people … what’s the strangest job you’ve ever done? You know, the kind of thing you don’t put on your resume?